Friday, April 10, 2009

Rearview Mirror

Kansas, Spring '08, Early afternoon

The windows are down. The sun and wind are invading the car like a happy dream.

We are in no hurry. We stop where we please. We find untraveled roads and drift along under the speed limit. Driving like a grandma.

Taking turns sharing our favorite songs. The stereo turned up just a little too loud. We join in when we both know the tune. Our voices playfully circling and touching. We sound good together.

We stop at every park and graveyard to explore the trees and ancient names.

I open the door for her. And away we drift. I'd feel foolish if I was the only one who could not stop smiling.

Conversation is lazy and gratifying. Our silence is just as enjoyable.

Realizing I have never been so happy.

I realize I have never been so happy.


1 comment:

  1. You're funny. I see you've been here before, most amusing.
    My blog seems less sincere compared to yours.
    Je suis une neuneu. Merci.

    ReplyDelete