Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Elevator Ride 1.2

It's dark. The elevator is lit by a single, swinging, bare bulb hanging by its wire from a metal crossbeam. I realize that the noises I am hearing are the squeaks and groans of a tired machine given no rest.

"Didn't like the party?" He asks with a incongruous smile.

"It was alright... No. No, I didn't like it. I hated it." I glared at him, daring him to make a comment. He smiles but stays mercifully silent.

We are approaching another floor. I can hear music. It's jazz.

"Would you like to get off here? Its a great band."

We pull into the opening of the floor and I see the musicians. The saxophonist is lost in his music playing a rift so high and complicated it seems to have transported him to a far better place. The organ and drums are smooth and tasteful. Backing him up in his ecstasy. Cool blue and purple lights paint the walls and ceiling.

"No. Don't stop. Take me down."

"Just as you please."

And then we have passed. The wailing instrument chasing us down into the cool darkness of the shaft.

2 comments:

  1. Why is he always stuck in places he doesn't want to be?
    Will he ever find somewhere that is peaceful to him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions. When I find a conclusive answer, be assured I will let you know.

    I think humans tend towards discontent. Very few of us have mastered the art of living happily in the moment. Its much more common to continually want something else (future) and look back with regret (past).

    ReplyDelete