Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Elevator Ride 1.3

The next floor is sliding up toward us. Soft yellow light spills out accompanied by the gentle clink of crystal and silverware. We drop into the opening and I look out on room tastefully decorated in muted reds and lit by candle chandeliers.

The lift operator smiles at my peering face pressed up against the wire gate.

"La Vida de Amor. It's a beautiful restaurant. The food and atmosphere are exquisite. Some people wait their whole life for the chance to dine here. It's your lucky day, though. I'm best friends with the owner. Shall we stop?"

I stand still. I can see a girl. She sits by herself at a table for two. She is wearing a white dress and her face unbearably lovely. She turns and looks at me with calm but expectant eyes. My heart stops beating. I know her. I understand. I do understand.

"No." my voice is so soft and low, more a sigh than a spoken word.

Yet my guide hears. I feel his eyes piercing into me. I can't bear her gaze, and drop my eyes. "Please, lets go..."

I feel the elevator grind to life and we drift downward. I'm weeping.

3 comments:

  1. Why doesn't he go to her?
    I feel sorry for her, all alone in a place meant for two. I hope someone comes along to keep her

    company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He doesn't go to her because he is a selfish wretch. He is so caught up in his own misery and self loathing that he can't bring himself to take a chance at that much joy. He believes himself too worthless to be with her. Though he wants to very badly, his own pride and self-pity prove too great a trap. So, instead of fighting and changing because he cares about her, he continues to look at himself and sink downward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to think it will be his loss more than hers. If he can't change for her, then some one who deserves her and who she deserves will materialize.

    ReplyDelete